HOW WE HELP | MOBILITY
Many people have poorly fitting wheelchairs that limit their mobility and independence. This also harms their health by causing:
- Muscle strain
- Pressure injuries
- Nerve damage
The ICS On A Roll Program helps people who need wheelchairs and other complex rehab and mobility equipment stay healthy and independent with:
- Customized wheelchairs and other rehab equipment that meets the needs of each individual in the home, at work, and in the community.
- Specialized wheelchair configurations to prevent dangerous and costly secondary conditions like pressure wounds.
- Speedy wheelchair repairs and maintenance to prevent frequent breakdowns, including a road crew that offers repairs in the home.
- Education that enables wheelchair users to maintain their mobility equipment.
- A loaner pool for times when a member’s chair is out of commission for repair or replacement.
ICS pioneered the provision of comprehensive wheelchair services for low-income New Yorkers with disabilities with assessments conducted by expert occupational and physical therapists.
As a result:
- 95% of ICS members are unable to walk without assistance, yet just 6% are confined to bed.
- Hundreds of New Yorkers with disabilities are living independent, active lives in their communities, able to work, attend school, take their children on outings and socialize with family and friends.
On a Roll was developed and is led by Jean Minkel, an internationally recognized expert on seating and mobility who has received numerous prestigious awards, including the Fellow Award from RESNA (the Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America).
An On A Roll wheelchair or mobility device starts with a thorough evaluation and considers each person’s physical condition, their functional ability, and where their device will be used. We spend time with each individual, talking through a series of questions so that we understand what is important to them and can ensure that their device is tailored to meet their needs and get them wherever they want to go. We also carry out residential assessments to ensure that the appropriate chair will fit through the doors, hallways and elevators of the person’s home.