Since 2008 ICS has led the expansion of access to health care for low-income New Yorkers with disabilities, starting with women’s health services and moving into access to primary care. In addition, ICS has strong relationships with medical providers and specialists across New York City, which benefits our members with Multiple Sclerosis, spinal cord injuries and other disabilities.
A powerful focus on prevention
Our most important goal is helping our members stay healthy, independent, and out of the hospital.
- ICS members are able to get mammography, gynecological exams and other important health screenings from providers we have trained in disability competence. An ICS nurse accompanies our members on these visits.
- ICS care navigators are located at the facilities where many of our members get medical care and can help them get the most out of their appointments with their doctors.
- Our relationships with disability-expert specialists and other providers help our members get care that is coordinated and timely, and avoid the health crises that lead to emergency room visits and hospital stays.
- The ICS Wound Care team has an outstanding record of helping our members prevent painful, dangerous pressure injuries.
- Our care navigators are experts in common health issues people with disabilities face, including urinary tract infections and the need for preventative bowel and bladder management.
More information on healthcare access
For more information about our work expanding access to healthcare for people with disabilities, call 1.877.ICS.2525.